The Ineffective and Illegal Nature of Gun Control

Liberals have fought and continue to fight for stricter gun control laws.  Some have even proposed to ban guns in their entirety.  In fact, according to a YouGov survey 82% of surveyed Democrats say they support banning semi-automatic weapons and 44% said they supported the ban of all handguns except for those issued to law enforcement.

However, if such a ban were to be proposed it would violate the second amendment which states, “The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Many citizens own guns to protect themselves from potential thieves and criminals.  In Bonner County, Idaho, a 41 year-old woman shot a 39 year-old man who was allegedly attacking her 70 year-old mother.  The captain of the sheriffs department, Tim Hemphill, said, “Evidence and witness statements collected to this point support that claim,” in a press release.  In addition, a man in Louisville, Kentucky was assaulting a woman and her under 10 year-old daughter when a neighbor arrived at the scene and held the attacker at gunpoint while the woman and her daughter got to safety.  The man with the gun was forced to shoot the suspect after he attempted to attack the man.  Witnesses told investigators that the man battered and kicked the woman and her daughter repeatedly prior to the defensive shooting.  These two examples are taken from a large collection of self defense shootings.  A national crime victimization study, done by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, found that there were almost 2, 500, 000 self defense related shootings in 2005 as opposed to the almost 500, 000 number of firearm violent crimes.  The chart is shown below*. 

*=For some users the chart may be all the way down near the sources section.

By taking away these guns, many citizens would lose their ability to protect themselves from violent intruders and criminals.  

Even if gun control laws were passed they would not be effective in their mission.  Dr. Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, conducted a study to find how many of crimes were committed with illegally possessed guns.  His team found that in 13 states 40% of inmates illegally obtained the guns they used and in the remaining 37 states it was a much higher 60%.  

In conclusion, the liberal gun control law propositions would not be effective in dramatically decreasing crime, but rather it would violate the second amendment and prevent many citizens from protecting themselves from potential criminals.

Sources:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/survey-majority-of-democrats-want-to-ban-semi-automatics-half-want-to-ban-all-guns

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/h8n9gvrqyj/econTabReport.pdf

https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/United_States_of_America_1992

https://www.kxly.com/news/spirit-lake-man-killed-in-apparent-self-defense-shooting/807498529

https://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/local_news/20181016/bcso_shooting_may_be_self-defense

https://www.wdrb.com/news/crime-reports/clarksville-police-say-neighbor-shot-man-as-he-attacked-woman/article_e7669e8b-17b6-507e-a48e-3025630308e4.html

https://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2018/mar/12/john-faso/do-illegal-gun-owners-commit-most-gun-crime-rep-fa/

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/19/1/26